Hi Ocean Dreamers,
While I'm at our family cabin enjoying the river and working away, please enjoy this amazing guest post by Rachel! She has an amazing homemade skin care routine that I'm dying to dry and want to know what is even more amazing?! It's cruelty free (the products are not tested on animals). Read the post below to get the scoop on her skin care tips!
Thanks so much Rachel!
My Homemade Skin Care Routine
Simple, cruelty-free skin care tips for glowing skin
Images of how cosmetics are tested on animals led me to research and then adopt a cruelty-free lifestyle about 5-years ago. I couldn’t deal with the fact that innocent animals were dying so that I could have smoother skin and prevent wrinkles. It seemed so selfish.
From that day 5-years ago to today, I have never purchased any products, or products containing ingredients, that have been tested on animals. I also choose to boycott the products made by any companies that conduct animal testing. Believe it or not, there are a ton of cruelty-free products available and I make use of them for my skin care and make up needs regularly.
However, nothing is better than a homemade skin care treatment—as long as it’s animal-friendly of course! So I make a point of following my own, self-tested, skin care regime! The following beauty care regime isn’t only fast, convenient and 100% natural—it’s also completely cruelty-free and chemical-free, as well as very cost-effective.
As a result of following this skin care routine for the past year, my skin is clearer (yes, I still suffered from acne into my 20s), younger looking and I find I don’t need to wear foundation or cover up quite as much (I reserve cruelty free foundation for special occasions). I had my 10-year high school reunion in May and even though all the girls in their long homecoming dresses were gorgeous—it’s my glowing skin that got all the praise from my old class mates.
The following details my tried and tested, homemade skin care routine…
In the mornings, I opt for gentle cleansing due to the fact that my face is clean from the night before and I don’t wear make-up very often anyway. My morning routine includes the following steps and products:
1. Cleanse face and neck
- Mix 3 drops of the essential oil of your choice in a clear glass bowl—typically lavender, rose, or orange—for their soothing, invigorating, and high vitamin C content
- Fill the rest of the bowl with hot water (it should steam)
- Immerse a face cloth completely in the water then squeeze out the excess water
- Lay the cloth completely over your face and neck like a hot compress and let the steam open your pores, soften your skin, and infuse your skin with nutrients from the essential oils
- Immerse the cloth and repeat the compress one more time
- Then rub the cloth across your face and neck as a gentle exfoliant to rid any dry skin or dir
As a natural, cruelty-free moisturizer with a ton of vitamins, I opt for virgin coconut oil, like this:
- Drip 4 drops of coconut oil in the palm of your hand
- Add 1 drop of the same essential oil you used above
- Rub hands together to mix the ingredients and smooth the oil over your face and neck
During the evenings the goal is to rid any dirt of make-up that’s been sitting all day from your face before you go to sleep. To do this, I use olive oil (but you can use just about any oil of your choice) because it easily dissolves make-up and it’s gentle on the skin (the majority of commercial make-up removers are oil-based anyhow).
- Dip a cotton pad in a teaspoon of olive oil
- Smooth the pad over your face and neck to banish make up and dirt
- You may need more than one pad if you tend to wear a lot of eye shadow, mascara and foundation
- Wipe excess oil from your face using a clean face cloth rinsed in warm water
I prefer natural toners like lavender and rose. To prepare my natural toner, I combine the following in a small squirt bottle:
- 90 milliliters of water
- 1 drop essential oil—lavender or rose
- Then I shake the bottle, squirt some toner on a cotton pad, and smooth over my face and neck
The final phase of my evening skin routine is moisturizing, which is vital to my soft, smooth, youthful glow. For moisturizing, I use the same coconut oil preparation as I did in the morning.
Bio: Rachel Barnard is a self-confessed shopaholic and contributing writer for Style Cynics, a fashion and celebrity gossip site that features the latest buzz and the hottest styles.